Friday, December 01, 2006

Brew Ha Ha - **Update**

Ok, last night I started the clearing process on my wine. By then I had reached day sixteen (of a fourteen day wine kit) and the specific gravity measured just below 1.000. I was supposed to let it drop between 985 and 995 but as I'm under some amount of pressure I decided the extra couple of days it would take would outweigh the potiental benefits (ie an extra fraction of a percent of alchohol.
So I started by syphoning off the wine into a five gallon bucket.





While doing this I tried to pour from as big a height as I could in order to degass the wine. While the wine is drinkable at this stage it doesn't look very apetising.





I tasted the wine at this stage and I have to say off all the wines I've made this tasted the best at this stage. There is usually a yeasty bouquet and a fairly strong yeasty taste but this one was quite fruity and dare I say it better than some of the muck you'd buy in the shop. I then decanted the wine back into the washed out fermenter.






I added some stabiliser to stop any further fermentation and the sachets of wine finings to clear the wine. I am now under serious pressure to get the wine clear and bottled for Christmas and I'm not 100% sure I'll make the deadline. I plan to decant the wine three more times before I bottle it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home