Monday, December 19, 2005

NO, I Would Not Like To Support SHARE

I had the displeasure of being in town last Saturday doing a little Christmas shopping and even I was astonished by the number of panhandlers around the town. I don't mean your usual bowzy on Patricks bridge, or your friendly Romanian hocking the Big Issue. No the beggars to which I refer are the fresh faced teens asking "Would you like to support SHARE?". Now before you go, 'here he goes again', listen to me for a second. In the space of one hundred yards I was asked the question four times. If I wanted to support SHARE I would have given money to the first beggar. They seen me coming....
First Beggar:"Would you like to support SHARE?"
Me" "(head down, avoid eye contact, say nothing)
Second Beggar:"Would you like to support SHARE?"
Me" "(head still down, still avoiding eye contact, getting increasingly self conscious)
Third Beggar:"Would you like to support SHARE?"
Me" "(Crimson at this stage, eyes watering, beginning to shake)
Fourth BEggar:"Would you li
Me:"Oh for fucksake take it, take it all(taking out my wallet and throwing a couple of tens and a five at the beggar before collapsing on the street weeping).

Now this may be a fictionalized account of what happened but my point is this, today you are no longer given the option not to contribute to charity. Basically the tactic of these Charity Muggers(or charity fuckers as I like to call them) is to embarrass you into contributing. I mean what do you do when confronted with the situation, do you smile politely and say no thank you?? But then why are you thanking them??? Do you keep your head down and walk on?? That's a little rude I think?? Or do you just say no!! And even in my own workplace some goody two shoes decided that we would all buy a present for some looser kid who's parents couldn't or wouldn't buy him a gift. Isn't that the point of Christmas, bad kids get nowt??
The pressure to join, in the form of 'here are the contributors so far, is your name here' emails was intense.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against giving, why only this year I gave a large portion of my paltry salary to the government in the form of taxes. I taxed my car last January and the main beneficires were the government. In fact everytime I have a pint the large minority of the price is donated to the government. What I'm saying basically is that the government should support SHARE, and all other charities. Charities shouldn't have to beg on the street. The government abdicates it's responsibility(and not just this government, it's whatever party that assumes they have a mandate because people vote for them and not the equally repulsive bunch of thieves) to the poorest and most vulnerable. But of course this will never happen because it's not sexy to support SHARE, or the Pakistanis freezing to death. The whole Tsunami thing, very sexy, lots of Kudos.

So basically what I want you all to do is go out and instead of giving money to SHARE or whoever, buy a gun (preferablly automatic) and take a pot shot at your local TD. It's time we overthrew democratic government. Democray doesn't work, it just doesn't work.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Governments were to take charities more seriously, that'd mean your taxes would go up

8:49 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

No it wouldn't if they spent the money they have a little more wisely, i.e. don't pay a back bencher 170,000 euro a year for doing fuck all

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why don't you apply to be one? your years of 'real-life' experience and 'honesty' could work wonders there

5:30 PM  
Blogger Major General Creedon said...

Steve for Government! Yeah! If Ali G can do it... Now all we need is a suitably filthy and controversial slogan for him. As an officer and a gentleman I'm incapable of thinking on that level but I'm sure one will appear here before long.

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes they can. Spend less on arms to begin with. Then go onto to their salaries and perks. Then the subsidies they give to their favourite industries. Then the dilomatic missions. It just goes on and on. Fuck them all. I agree. stephy for leader!!!

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home