Monday, December 12, 2005

Hollywood Does It Again


Last night was an eye opener for even me. Just when I thought Hollywood coudn't possibly produce any more rancid, fetid crap I last night had the absolute displeasure of seeing War Of The Worlds (2005). Let me tell you the story, someone rented the DVD for me on Saturday night, however due to an over consumption of Hardys Reserve red wine I decided to take to my bed and watch it on Sunday. Problems arose when I had to take the DVD back and I decided to copy the DVD and watch it later that night, thereby having both my cake and the opportunity to eat it. Now I hate Steven Spielberg, I hate every single film he's ever been involved in, I hate his self congratulatory smug fucking face. This film from slow dreary start to its "lets rap this thing up quickly, we've run over budget" ending is dross of the highest order. Cruise plays an uncaring father, his character is so unlikeable you really don't care what happens to him. Then you've got Dakota Fanning who screams for the entire picture, I'm not joking, the film last's 1 hour and forty minutes and she's screaming for one hour and ten, I timed it!! Then there's his looser son, a character so annoying that when he eventually "goes over the hill" you are so relieved and delighted that you don't have to hear him anymore. And of course there's the obligatory happy ending which is so tacked on its an absolute sham.

This has to end. We have to draw a line in sand and say NO MORE. By going to the cinema we are condoning this sort of rubbish and allowing Hollywood moguls the opportunity to make even more money. I lost an hour and forty minutes of my life last night which I'll never see again.

Well I say Never, never again shall I be scammed by Hollywood acting by numbers. The next film I'm going to see is that film with the pinguins in it. Much lower paid than Mr Cruise but a hell of alot more soul.

3 Comments:

Blogger Major General Creedon said...

Hear hear. I was apalled by the War Of The Worlds as well. I wouldn't be a fan of Speilberg myself but I was expecting a sort of Close Encounters meets Saving Private Ryan.
Speilberg's mistake was to follow the book too closely. I've never read it but if this is a faithful film adaptation then it's obviously boring shite.
Bring on the Independence Day sequel, Hollywood! Not bore us to death with this and the like of Signs!

8:25 PM  
Blogger Pearlgurl said...

urm.... excuse the extra fuzz on my brain and ignore my comments on my own web page, re: leaving comments on ur site, someones face got in the way and i was mislead to believe i was going to leave a comment on the wrong blog.

N E Hows ... let me add that i've yet to see this flick but if its anything like Narnia *the biggest load of bollox ever* i will most definitely agree with you.

When is the media ever going to give up the hype attachments they put into every damn movie, and let us figure out for OURSELVES if its n e good or not! Money thieving urm, scrungers?!?!?!

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Colonel, you were only disappointed because of the ease with which the U.S. military was brushed aside :)

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home